Smart Thinking Skills for Critical Understanding and Writing
- 1 Smart Thinking
- 2 Claims: The Key Elements of Reasoning
- 3 Linking: The Key Process in Reasoning
- 4 Understanding the Links between Claims
- 5 More Effective Reasoning I: Better Claims
- 6 More Effective Reasoning II: Better Links
- 7 What Kinds of Reasoning are There?
- 8 Research, Reasoning, and Analysis
- 9 Planning and Creating Your Reasoning
10 Bringing It All Together: Narrative and Structure
THINKING is a practical, step-by-step guide to improving skills in analysis and critical thinking, and the effective communication of arguments and explanations. With an accessible and straightforward style, this book is of great use for students at university and also final-year school who are looking to improve their analytical skills.
This second edition treats reasoning as an aspect of communication, not an abstract exercise in logic. It not only provides detailed advice on how to practice better analytical skills, but also demonstrates their application to finding information and writing more coherently. The focus in this book is on improving one’s own reasoning rather than simply reading others’ arguments. In particular, THINKING emphasises how to develop arguments that are coherent and take account of their audience and context.
Features of this new edition include:
• an updated glossary, a guide to further reading, and a guide to important skills
• additional advice on casting and developing arguments • a new chapter at the end of the book that demonstrates, in an extended example, the skills learnt in the book
• a more thorough treatment of how to find and use information via reasoning, and
• exercises and review questions in each chapter to enhance knowledge and test readers’ skills.
Matthew Allen is an Associate Professor who coordinates the Internet Studies Program, and Associate Dean Teaching and Learning, Humanities. at Curtin University of Technology.
Download Smart Thinking Skills for Critical Understanding and Writing in free pdf format.