Principles of Foundation Engineering, Seventh Edition by Braja M Das.
The book in PDF Format with title Principles of Foundation Engineering, Seventh Edition by Braja M Das is available to download for free and Download Link is at the end of the article
1 Geotechnical Properties of Soil
2 Natural Soil Deposits and Subsoil Exploration
3 Shallow Foundations: Ultimate Bearing Capacity
4 Ultimate Bearing Capacity of Shallow Foundations:
5 Shallow Foundations: Allowable Bearing Capacity
6 Mat Foundations
7 Lateral Earth Pressure
8 Retaining Walls
9 Sheet Pile Walls
10 Braced Cuts
11 Pile Foundations
12 Drilled-Shaft Foundations
13 Foundations on Difficult Soils
14 Soil Improvement and Ground Modification
Answers to Selected Problems
Preface: Soil mechanics and foundation engineering have developed rapidly during the last fifty years. Intensive research and observation in the field and the laboratory have refined and improved the science of foundation design. Originally published in the fall of 1983 with a 1984 copyright, this text on the principles of foundation engineering is now in the seventh edition. The use of this text throughout the world has increased greatly over the years; it also has been translated into several languages. New and improved materials that have been published in various geotechnical engineering journals and conference proceedings have been incorporated into each edition of the text.
Principles of Foundation Engineering is intended primarily for undergraduate civil engineering students. The first chapter, on Geotechnical Properties of Soil, reviews the topics covered in the introductory soil mechanics course, which is a prerequisite for the foundation engineering course. The text is composed of fourteen chapters with examples and problems, and an answer section for selected problems. The chapters are mostly devoted to the geotechnical aspects of foundation design. Both Systéime International (SI) units and English units are used in the text.
Because the text introduces the application of fundamental concepts of foundation analysis and design to civil engineering students, the mathematical derivations are not always presented; instead, just the final form of the equation is given. A list of references for further information and study is included at the end of each chapter.
Each chapter contains many example problems that will help students understand the application of the equations and graphs. For better understanding and visualization of the ideas and field practices, about thirty new photographs have been added in this edition.
A number of practice problems also are given at the end of each chapter. Answers to some of these problems are given at the end of the text.
The following is a brief overview of the changes from the sixth edition.
• In several parts of the text, the presentation has been thoroughly reorganized for better understanding.
• A number of new case studies have been added to familiarize students with the deviations from theory to practice.
• In Chapter 1 on Geotechnical Properties of Soil, new sections on liquidity index and activity have been added. The discussions on hydraulic conductivity of clay, relative density, and the friction angle of granular soils have been expanded.
• Expanded treatment of the weathering process of rocks is given in Chapter 2, Natural Soil Deposits and Subsoil Exploration.
• In Chapter 3 (Shallow Foundations: Ultimate Bearing Capacity), a new case study on bearing capacity failure in soft saturated clay has been added. Also included is the reduction factor method for estimating the ultimate bearing capacity of eccentrically loaded strip foundations on granular soil.
• Chapter 4, Ultimate Bearing Capacity of Shallow Foundations: Special Cases, has new sections on the ultimate bearing capacity of weaker soil underlain by a stronger soil, the seismic bearing capacity of foundations at the edge of a granular slope, foundations on rocks, and the stress characteristics solution for foundations located on the top of granular slopes.
• Stress distribution due to a point load and uniformly loaded circular and rectangular areas located on the surface of a Westergaard-type material has been added to Chapter 5 on Allowable Bearing Capacity and Settlement. Also included in this chapter is the procedure to estimate foundation settlement based on Pressuremeter test results.
• Lateral earth pressure due to a surcharge on unyielding retaining structures is now included in Chapter 7 (Lateral Earth Pressure). Also included in this chapter is the solution for passive earth pressure on a retaining wall with inclined back face and horizontal granular backfill using the method of triangular slices.
• Chapter 8 on Retaining Walls has a new case study. A more detailed discussion is provided on the design procedure for geogrid-reinforced retaining walls.
• Chapter 9 on Sheet Pile Walls has an added section on the holding capacity of plate anchors based on the stress characteristics solution.
• Two case studies have been added to the chapter on Braced Cuts (Chapter 10).
• The chapter on Pile Foundations (Chapter 11) has been thoroughly reorganized for better understanding.
• Based on recent publications, new recommendations have been made to estimate the load-bearing capacity of drilled shafts extending to rock (Chapter 12)
As my colleagues in the geotechnical engineering area well know, foundation analysis and design is not just a matter of using theories, equations and graphs from a textbook. Soil profiles found in nature are seldom homogeneous, elastic, and isotropic. The educated judgment needed to properly apply the theories, equations, and graphs to the evaluation of soils, foundations, and foundation design cannot be overemphasized or completely taught in the classroom. Field experience must supplement classroom work.
The following individuals were kind enough to share their photographs which have been included in this new edition.
• Professor A. S. Wayal, K. J. Somayia Polytechnic, Mumbai, India
• Professor Sanjeev Kumar, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois
• Mr. Paul J. Koszarek, Professional Service Industries, Inc., Waukesha, Wisconsin
• Professor Khaled Sobhan, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, Florida
• Professor Jean-Louis Briaud, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
• Dr. Dharma Shakya, Geotechnical Solutions, Inc., Irvine, California
• Mr. Jon Ridgeway, Tensar International, Atlanta, Georgia
• Professor N. Sivakugan, James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland, Australia
• Professor Anand J. Puppala, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas
• Professor Thomas M. Petry, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, Missouri
Thanks are due to Neill Belk, graduate student at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and Jennifer Nicks, graduate student at Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, for their help during the preparation of this revised edition. I am also grateful for several helpful suggestions of Professor Adel S. Saada of Case Western Reserve University,
Thanks are due to Chris Carson, Executive Director, Global Publishing Program; and Hilda Gowans, Senior Developmental Editor, Engineering, Cengage Learning; Lauren Betsos, Marketing Manager; and Rose Kernan of RPK Editorial Services for their interest and patience during the revision and production of the manuscript. For the past twenty-seven years, my primary source of inspiration has been the immeasurable energy of my wife, Janice. I am grateful for her continual help in the development of the original text and its six subsequent revisions.
Braja M. Das
Principles of Foundation Engineering, 7th Edition by Braja M Das pdf.
⏩Author: Braja M. Das
⏩Publisher: CLE; 7th edition (2010)
⏩Publication Date: 2010
⏩Size: 16.9 MB
engreferencebooks.com website respects the intellectual property rights of others and expects its users to do the same, The book name and content is copyrighted material by the respective publishers and we are not publishing either or distributing the book. We here at Engineering Reference Pdf; neither upload books and not share it for commercial purpose. Only downloading links are shared which are found by detailed scrutiny and research over the internet. So we are here just sharing those links not the books. If you notice any copyright material please contact us immediately at DMCA form and point out its URL, we’ll remove relevant links or contents!
👇👇Downloading The Book👇👇
Download Principles of Foundation Engineering, Seventh Edition by Braja M Das in pdf format for free.