Gas Turbine Working and Types
A gas turbine is a rotary machine in which the chemical energy of the fuel is converted into mechanical energy or kinetic energy in terms of shaft power. In other words, it is a mechanical power or thrust delivering machine. It uses a gaseous working fluid for this purpose. The generated mechanical power can be used by industrial devices. There is a continuous flow of the working fluid in a gas turbine. Power generation gas turbines are the ones that produce shaft power. To propel an aircraft, gas turbines are used that convert fuel energy into kinetic energy for the generation of thrust.
The gas turbine is an internal combustion engine that uses air as the working fluid. The engine extracts chemical energy from fuel and converts it to mechanical energy using the gaseous energy of the working fluid (air) to drive the engine and propeller, which, in turn, propel the airplane.
Fig below shows a typical representation of Gas turbine.
Gas Turbine Cycle
The basic principle of the airplane turbine engine is identical to any and all engines that extract energy from chemical fuel. The basic 4 steps for any internal combustion engine are:
- Intake of air (and possibly fuel).
- Compression of the air (and possibly fuel).
- Combustion, where fuel is injected (if it was not drawn in with the intake air)
and burned to convert the stored energy.
- Expansion and exhaust, where the converted energy is put to use.
Types of gas turbine
The below listed are the types of gas turbine:
- Open cycle gas turbine
- Scale jet engines
- Auxiliary power unit
- Aero derivative gas turbine
- Closed cycle gas turbine
- Jet engines
Applications of a gas turbine
- As the direct and mechanical drive for various industries
- Marine propulsion
- Automotive sector
- Electrical Power generation
- Oil and gas industry
- Turbo generators
- Gas Turbines: Technology, Efficiency and Performance PDF
- Gas Turbine Engineering Handbook Third Edition by Meherwan P. Boyce pdf download
- Gas Turbines: Internal Flow Systems Modeling PDF
Content of PDF:
- Applications of a gas turbine
- Working principle of a gas turbine
- Components of a gas turbine
- Types of gas turbine
- Design of gas turbine
- Codes and Standards
- Gas turbine performance
- Advantages of a gas turbine
- Disadvantages of a gas turbine
- Gas turbine manufacturers
- Gas turbine vs steam turbine
Download PDF on Gas Turbine Applications, Working, Components, Types, Design, Advantages.